World Bulletin / News Desk
Fazal Khuda, spokesman for the army’s 203rd Thunder Corps, said seven other soldiers were wounded and two attackers shot dead in the assault.
He added that fighting was ongoing at the base in Sabari district, Khost province, which lies on the Pakistan border.
Taliban spokesman Zabehullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack and said “scores” of soldiers had been killed.
The assault follows a failed attack on a joint Afghan-U.S. base in the provincial capital a week ago. The camp is used to coordinate drone strikes on militants across the border in Pakistan.
Meanwhile, the Defense Ministry said Friday that up to 55 militants had been killed over the previous 24 hours.