World Bulletin / News Desk
Thai police have completed a probe into a man suspected of involvement in a series of bombings in Thailand's south that left four people dead.
The overnight attacks rocked four cities Aug. 11 and 12 as the country prepared to celebrate the birthday of Thailand's queen -- also Mothers' Day in the country.
On Thursday, Deputy Police Chief Srivara Ransibrahmanakul told reporters that police had finished their investigation into the involvement of Abdul Sarae and his role in the attacks.
Sarae -- arrested in August -- is alleged to have carried out a bombing in Trat Province which damaged a convenience store.
"We have recommended he be charged with carrying out an explosive attack, arson and carrying explosive material," Ransibrahmanakul said.
Police had previously said that Sarae had connections with insurgent groups operating in Thailand's deep south.
According to previous police reports, Sarae was responsible for acts of violence in Narathiwat province.
Ransibrahmanakul said the investigation has now been brought before the military court that will decide whether to accept the case.
With two of the explosions occurring in the tourist resort areas of Hua Hin and Phuket, in the attacks' immediate aftermath police were quick to announce that the bombings were not related to terrorism.
"Thailand has no religious or territorial quarrel with anyone. Therefore this was an act of sabotage, internal sabotage," police spokesman Piyapan Phingmuang told reporters Aug. 12.
In the past, Thai governments have avoided use of the term "terrorism" for fear of the effect it may have on the country's famous tourism industry.Last Mod: 17 Kasım 2016, 11:53