World Bulletin/News Desk
The death toll from a pair of coordinated suicide bombs in a volatile Pakistani town near the Afghan border rose to 52 overnight, officials said on Saturday, in one of the worst attacks in the country in months.
On Friday evening, two suicide bombers on motorcycles struck in the northwestern town of Parachinar just as people flocked to a busy marketplace to buy food for their evening meals after a day of fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.
Riaz Mahsud, the top administrator of the area, said the death toll, originally reported at 39, jumped to 52 after several people died from their wounds during the night.A previously unknown group called Ansarul Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the attack.
Separately, gunmen attacked a coast guard checkpoint in the volatile southwestern region of Baluchistan near the Iranian border, firing rockets and killing seven security officials, the region's Home Secretary Akbar Durrani said.
A banned group known as the Baloch Liberation Front claimed responsibility for the attack, saying its fighters had killed 25 security personnel and kidnapped two soldiers. Two members were killed, its spokesman said.Last Mod: 27 Temmuz 2013, 17:03