Two Indonesian Abu Sayyaf hostages freed in Sulu

Abu Sayyaf hostages released after battle

Two Indonesian Abu Sayyaf hostages freed in Sulu

World Bulletin / News Desk

Two of seven remaining Indonesian hostages were released, Thursday, by the Abu Sayyaf group after a military operation killed five militants on the southern island of Sulu.
 
Brig. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, Joint Task Force Sulu commander, identified the freed Indonesians as Saparrudin Kone and Sawal Maryam who were recovered in Talipao, Sulu.
 
He said a 30-minute firefight ensued that left five bandits dead and five soldiers wounded. Three high-powered firearms of the militants were also recovered by troops in the clash site.
 
According to Sobejana, the bandits were men of Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Idang Susukan, one of the wanted terrorists in the Philippines who were involved in kidnapping activities in Malaysia.
 
The military tagged Susukan for the abduction of Kone and Maryam and five other Indonesian sailors in waters off Merabong near Kunak district, Sabah in November last year.
 
"The two recovered Indonesians were now confined at government hospital for medical checkup and would undergo custodial debriefing," Sobejana said.
 
The military's Western Mindanao Command said four Vietnamese, five Indonesians, a Dutch man and four Filipinos – remain in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf.
Last Mod: 08 Eylül 2017, 09:50
Add Comment