World Bulletin / News Desk
Interior Minister Muammer Güler asked his German counterpart, Hans Peter Friedrich, why the German state refused to cooperate last year when Turkey asked it to apprehend and extradite a suicide bomber who attacked the US Embassy in Ankara last week.
Güler received his counterpart at his office on Thursday. The two ministers discussed the cooperation between Turkey and Germany against acts of terror and terrorist groups.
Friedrich reiterated his country's "determination" to assist Turkey in its fight against the militant Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK). He said efforts should be focused on how to cut down on funds flowing to the terrorist group.
“International cooperation should be ensured to discover the financial resources of terrorist organizations and action should be taken to block them. The assistance of France and the Netherlands should also be obtained,” Friedrich stated.
"No even an answer"
Güler recalled that Turkey had asked German authorities in 2011 to apprehend and extradite Ecevit Şanlı, a member of the terrorist Revolutionary People's Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C). There were intelligence reports at the time that Şanlı was living in Germany without a residence permit and was reportedly preparing for an attack in Turkey. German authorities, however, did not respond to Turkey's request.
Şanlı attacked the US Embassy in Ankara on Feb. 1 with six kilograms of TNT and a hand grenade, killing himself and a Turkish security guard and critically injuring a journalist on her way to visit the ambassador.
The DHKP/C claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on a website of an organization known to be close to the group. “Our warrior [Ecevit Şanlı] carried out an act of self-sacrifice by entering the Ankara embassy of the United States, murderer of the peoples of the world,” the statement said.
Friedrich, in response, said the issue of the extradition of suspected members of terrorist organizations is dealt with by the Ministry of Justice, not by the Interior Ministry. “Turkish authorities need to clarify their legislation to put forward more concrete evidence when they raise a demand for the extradition of suspects,” he added.
Police sources have said Şanlı was one of a number of possible bombers from the terrorist DHKP/C and that efforts are ongoing to capture the other members of the team.
The attacker, Şanlı, was among those on a list of 15 potential suicide bombers that police discovered last month had entered Turkey illegally. Photos and other detailed information about the bombers were sent to police stations nationwide, asking officers to be on the alert for them. According to the notice, the bombers were trained by terrorist organizations or sponsors in Greece, Germany, Syria and Belgium.
Şanlı, 40, was trained in Germany, according to police. He had previously been imprisoned in Turkey after staging an attack on a military facility in 1997. He was released in 2001 due to poor health.
Police teams are now mobilized to capture the other 14 potential suicide bombers.Last Mod: 08 Şubat 2013, 15:02