Turkey condemns Libya violence

The Foreign Ministry statement says Turkey is saddened by loss of lives as clashes in the Libyan capital killed scores on Friday

Turkey condemns Libya violence

World Bulletin/News Desk

Turkish Foreign Ministry has issued a statement that condemns the recent violence in the Libyan capital of Tripoli on Friday that killed at least 49 and wounded hundreds.

The statement published on the Ministry's website on Saturday says Turkey is "deeply saddened" by the loss of civilian lives, which came about when armed militias opened fire at a massive group of protesters who marched to demand their removal from the capital.

Militias wield considerable power in a chaotic political scene that has left the Libyan government struggling to maintain order and security over the last two years.

"Turkey, which strives to provide every kind of support to Libya, will continue in the future to stand by the brotherly Libyan people," the statement notes.

Friday's clashes led Libya's Deputy Army Chief-of-Staff Salem Gnaidi to announce his resignation.

"I cannot remain at my post and take responsibility for an army that is incapable of deterring a militia and stopping it from killing unarmed people," Gnaidi said.

Libya has remained plagued with instability since the uprising in 2011 that culminated at the end of the 42-year long autocratic rule of strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

Last month, US Navy Seals carried out an operation in Tripoli where they captured an al-Qaeda operative wanted for his alleged role in the 1998 US embassy bombings in Africa.

Days after the operation, Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan was arrested by an armed militia as a reaction to the Libyan government's involvement in the capture of Anas al-Liby. Zeidan was freed hours later.

Last Mod: 16 Kasım 2013, 23:43
Add Comment