Turkey delays KRG oil deal till Iraqi PM's visit

Turkey has put off a deal between itself the the Kurdistan Regional Government of northern Iraq until Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's visit to Turkey.

Turkey delays KRG oil deal till Iraqi PM's visit

World Bulletin / News Desk

Yesterday in Ankara, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan met with the Prime Minister of the autonomous Kurdistan Regional Government of northern Iraq, Nechirvan Barzani, in order to secure a new oil pipeline across the border.

Although a deal was expected to be signed before the meeting, there has still been no statement regarding any deals. It is believed that Turkey is waiting for the Baghdad-based Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to visit Turkey in December before the deal goes through.

According to the Iraqi constitution, 83% of profits earned from the export of Iraqi oil and natural gas goes to the capital city Baghdad, whereas the remaining 17% will be distributed by the capital of the KRG in northern Iraq, Erbil.

The United States, which will play mediator between Baghdad and Erbil in splitting the profits, has urged Turkey to get Baghdad’s approval before agreeing with Erbil.

Only 1km of piping remains to complete the 411km pipeline that is being constructed along Yumurtalik. The pipeline is expected to become active as early as January 15, 2014. Barzani even said that it could become active before Christmas.

Barzani also met with Turkish Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Feridun Sinirlioglu at the JW Marriott Hotel, in a dinner meeting which included KRG spokesman Sefin Dizayi and Natural Resources Minister Ashti Hawrami.

When asked about the talks, Barzani said that the meetings had been productive and that he had enjoyed his visit, but refused to comment as to whether or not a deal was signed.

Meanwhile, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki met with his Energy advisor Husseşn Shehristani and State Organization for Marketing Oil (SOMO) representatives to discuss how to raise Iraq’s daily export of oil to 9 million barrels by 2016. SOMO representatives insisted that this was only possible by going ahead with planned pipelines over the Turkish border.

The renewing of the Kirkuk-Yumurtalik pipeline and establishment of another pipeline parallel to it was also discussed.

Maliki’s spokesman told the press that the Iraqi government had expressed its disapproval of the pipeline deal between Turkey and the KRG to Turkey’s Baghdad ambassador, saying that should it go through, relations between Baghdad and Ankara would severely be damaged.

 

Last Mod: 28 Kasım 2013, 14:19
Add Comment