The Turkish ministry of foreign affairs said on Thursday that the progress report prepared by a United Nations (UN) commission investigating the recent Israeli attack on a humanitarian aid flotilla should be shared with the public.
Releasing a statement, the Turkish foreign ministry recalled that Turkey's national research commission had presented its interim report on the Israeli raid to the UN investigation commission on September 1.
The ministry said that the UN investigation commission had also prepared a report summarizing the progress of the studies on the attack and presented it to the UN secretary-general before September 15.
"In the light of international expectations from such inquiry, we attach great importance to UN's sharing the details of such progress report with the public," the Turkish ministry said.
The ministry also said that it expected the studies on the matter to be carried out with utmost attention from now on.
Martin Nesirky, spokesperson for the UN secretary-general, previously said that the UN commission's interim report had been presented to the secretary-general, however, the UN head had not personally read the document yet.
Nesirky also noted that the report most probably would not be made public as it was extremely technical.
The UN SG last month established a four-member investigation commission chaired by former New Zealander Prime Minister Geoffrey Palmer and co-chaired by former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe. The commission also includes retired ambassador Ozdem Sanberk as representative from Turkey and Joseph Ciechanove as representative from Israel.
Nine people, including eight Turkish citizens and one U.S. citizen of Turkish descent, were killed when Israeli forces raided a Gaza-bound aid flotilla including the Turkish Mavi Marmara ship on May 31. Around 30 people were wounded in the attack.
AALast Mod: 16 Eylül 2010, 18:10