World Bulletin / News Desk
A Turkish government official rejected an accusation from Syria on Tuesday that Turkey bore responsibility for a possible chemical attack in the northern province of Aleppo.
"This is a baseless accusation, the Syrian government has accused Turkey in the past as well," the official told Reuters.
Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoabi said earlier that Turkey and Qatar, which have supported rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad, bore "legal, moral and political responsibility" for the attack, state television reported.
The Free Syrian Army rebel command said Assad's forces launched a chemical weapon attack on the northern town of Khan al-Assal near Aleppo on Tuesday using a long-range missile.
"Fighting was raging in Khan al-Assal this morning and the regime's army hit the town with a long-range missile equipped with a chemical warhead. It also hit the area with conventional weapons from the air and with artillery," Louay al-Meqdad, the political coordinator for the rebel command told Reuters.Last Mod: 19 Mart 2013, 15:04