World Bulletin / News Desk
An İstanbul court resumed on Thursday the trial in absentia of four former Israeli military commanders over the killing of nine people in the raid of Turkish aid ship the Mavi Marmara as it tried to break the Gaza blockade in 2010.
The fourth hearing of the case was held at the İstanbul 7th High Criminal Court with a relatively smaller number of attendees. The trial had begun on Nov. 6 last year with the attendance of a large number of attorneys from both Turkey and abroad, plus family members of the victims and activists.
Lawyer and one of the plaintiffs in the trial Gülden Sönmez, who was also on board the Mavi Marmara, said family members of the victims didn't attend the fourth hearing as the courtroom was too small and the session was only one day long.
“As you know there are over 700 victims and many of them are living abroad. Unfortunately, they couldn't come and testify [as co-plaintiffs] as the courtroom is so small and the hearing is only one day,” Söylemez told reporters.
Şahin İbrahim Güleryüz, another co-plaintiff in the case, said the trial would set a precedent and damage the status of Israel.
Prosecutors are requesting life imprisonment for the officers who directed the raid.
The four accused, identified by an investigation by the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office, are former Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) Chief of General Staff Gen. Rau Aluf Gabi Ashkenazi, Naval Forces Commander Vice Adm. Eliezer Marom, Israel's military intelligence chief Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin and Air Forces Intelligence head Brig. Gen. Avishai Levi.
The suspects, who did not attend the hearing, were represented by lawyers appointed by the İstanbul Bar Association.
Last Mod: 21 Şubat 2013, 15:34