World Bulletin / News Desk
Ahmet Doğan, father of 19-yeard old Furkan Doğan, who was killed in a lethal Israeli raid on the Mavi Marmara, which was carrying humanitarian aid to besieged Gaza on May 31 of last year, is headed to the US to launch an investigation into his son's killing.
Ahmet Doğan went to Chicago with two lawyers, Ramazan Arıtürk and Uğur Sevgili, on Friday to seek legal action in the US for his son's death during the Israeli raid, which also killed eight Turkish nationals, Cihan news agency reported.
Turkish autopsy reports of 19-year-old Doğan, a US citizen, revealed he was shot five times -- at close range on the right side of his nose, in the back of the head, in the back and twice in the left leg.
Turkish officials repeatedly called on the US to take the issue seriously, but the US said Israel was "best positioned to start the probe into the raid."
Doğan will also be awarded the annual American Muslim Foundation (AMP) Jerusalem Award for 2011.
Speaking to reporters at İstanbul Atatürk International Airport, Arıtürk said lawyers and Doğan will hold senior-level meetings at the State Department and Justice Department.
Arıtürk said they will also visit the family of Rachel Corrie, an American college student killed when she was crushed by an Israeli bulldozer in the Gaza Strip during a peaceful protest in 2003.
Doğan told reporters that they will also have a chance to meet with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and said they will launch every kind of probe to investigate the death of Doğan. "If there is a law, humanity, we believe we will get results," Doğan said.
Arıtürk said there is an ongoing investigation in the US and that they will also inquire as to its current status.
Arıtürk also said the report they have prepared on the Mavi Marmara incident, which is similar to the report Turkey prepared earlier for the UN, will be delivered to the UN Secretariat.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 18 Şubat 2011, 17:29