THY denies establishment of new airline in Niger

A reports released by Reuters said the Nigerien government had announced they would have a 51 percent share, with THY to hold the remaining 49 percent, in the new airline

THY denies establishment of new airline in Niger

World Bulletin/News Desk

Turkey's flagship airline Turkish Airlines (THY) has denied a media report suggesting that the company is establishing a new airline in Niger.

Responding to questions from Today's Zaman on Friday, a THY official said company management has not made any decisions regarding the issue. A reports released by Reuters said the Nigerien government had announced they would have a 51 percent share, with THY to hold the remaining 49 percent, in the new airline. According to the report, the name of the new carrier would be Niger Airways. Niger has not had a national flag carrier since 1985.

Meanwhile, THY posted data on Friday concerning their passenger numbers in January 2013. According to the data, the number of passengers flying THY increased by 23 percent over that of January 2012, with a total of 3.2 million customers last month. Also the number of passengers flying domestic routes increased by 9 percent, while passengers on international flights rose by 34 percent. In the data, it was also seen that the number of transit passengers went up by 42 percent in January year on year while the occupancy rate increased by 3.3 percentage points in the same period, reaching 75.9 percent. The number of passengers carried in the airline's “Business” and “Comfort” classes grew by 22 percent as well.

In addition, the number of flight destinations went up by 15 percent, from 189 in January 2012 to 218 destinations in total last month. In 2012, the number of passengers carried by THY exceeded 39 million, a target the company had set for 2013.

Last Mod: 16 Şubat 2013, 12:12
Add Comment