World Bulletin / News Desk
Shooting in eastern Ukraine cut off electricity at a mine in eastern Ukraine on Wednesday, leaving 379 people underground without light, a pro-Russian opposition commander was quoted as saying by RIA news agency.
A separate report by the Donetsk news agency, operated by opposition forces fighting Ukrainian government forces, quoted the same official, Eduard Basurin, as saying 375 people were still underground at the Skochinsky mine.
Shooting in eastern Ukraine also cut off electricity on Wednesday at a second mine, called Zasyadko, leaving 576 miners underground without light, a pro-Russian commander was quoted as saying by rebel press service DAN.
Earlier power had failed at the nearby Skochinsky mine, trapping over 350 people. Emergency services in the rebel-controlled region of Donetsk said miners were being evacuated from Skochinsky.
Miners trapped in a mine in eastern Ukraine are being evacuated, RIA news agency quoted a member of the emergencies service in the separatist-controlled region of Donetsk as saying on Wednesday.
News agencies had earlier quoted regional officials as saying shooting had cut off electricity at the Skochinsky mine, trapping more than 350 miners underground. The emergencies ministry official said the miners were now being brought out, RIA added.
There has been frequent shooting in eastern Ukraine despite a ceasefire between pro-Russian rebels and the Ukrainian government.Last Mod: 03 Haziran 2015, 20:52