Germany has begun to pay compensation to the families of those who were killed in a string of neo-Nazi murders that took place in the country between 2000 and 2006, in addition to individuals who were injured in a bomb attack in Cologne perpetrated by the National Socialist Underground (NSU) in 2004.
The move has been interpreted by some victims as an effort to urge victims and their families to refrain from filing cases against Germany over the tragic incidents.
A spokesperson for Justice Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger on Monday said compensation is being paid only to those who have applied to the relevant authorities, the Cihan news agency reported on Tuesday.
The spokesperson said 10,000 euros will be deposited into the accounts of the families of the neo-Nazi murder victims and that 5,000 euros is being paid to those injured in Cologne in 2004 on condition that they apply for compensation.
Following an assessment of the situation of the victims' families, the spokesperson said, they may be eligible to claim more compensation.
Muzaffer Türkoğlu, one of the victims of the 2004 bombing, however, told Cihan that 5,000 euros had been deposited into his bank account despite not having asked to be compensated.
Türkoğlu claimed he was paid compensation on condition that he not file a case against the state of Germany. “When we [victims] were hosted at the presidential palace, we were told that we would be paid compensation on condition that we don't file a case against Germany," he said, adding that he will not accept the compensation.
CihanGüncelleme Tarihi: 31 Ocak 2012, 13:19