World Bulletin / News Desk
Italy's most powerful earthquake in 36 years struck a new blow to the country's seismically vulnerable heart Sunday, terrifying residents for the third time in nine weeks and flattening a revered 600-year-old church.
The national civil protection agency said there had been extensive damage to many historic buildings but no fatalities had been registered some five hours after the quake.
"I can confirm that there are no victims (deaths). Around 20 people are injured. As far as people are concerned, the situation is positive but many buildings are in a critical state in historic centres and there are problems with electricity and water supplies," the agency's chief, Fabrizio Curcio, said in a lunchtime update.
It measured 6.6 on the so-called moment magnitude scale, according to US geologists, while Italian monitors estimated it at 6.5.
It was Italy's biggest quake since a 6.9-magnitude one struck the south of the country in 1980, leaving 3,000 people dead.
"We are going through a really tough period," Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said, reiterating a government pledge to rebuild every damaged house and ensure that remote, quake-hit communities are not abandoned.
"We must not allow the profound pain, fatigue and stress that we have now to turn into resignation."
Last Mod: 30 Ekim 2016, 16:16