All detainees released in Turkey mine disaster probe

The prosecutor's office said no suspects are left in custody after eight were placed under arrest over the Soma tragedy.

All detainees released in Turkey mine disaster probe

World Bulletin / News Desk

Detainees who were being questioned in custody as part of the ongoing investigation into last week’s coalmine disaster in Turkey have all been released, prosecutors have said.

Prosecutors said earlier on Tuesday that eight people from among 36 who were originally taken into custody as part of the probe had been placed under arrest.

The eight, who included Soma Mining Company owner Can Gurkan and general manager Ramazan Dogru, were accused of "causing the reckless killing of more than one person."

Rescue operations in the mine ended on Saturday after the bodies of the last two miners trapped underground were found, bringing the total of number of fatalities to 301.

Prosecutors appointed to investigate the disaster began to collect testimonies from witnesses and victims on Friday.

The investigation team will also consult an occupational safety expert committee comprised of electrical engineers and mining experts.

The disaster was the deadliest mining incident in Turkey's history, surpassing the death toll of a firedamp explosion that killed 263 miners in Zonguldak in 1992.

Turkish Parliament to debate coal mine tragedy

The ruling AK Party has submitted a motion to the Turkish Parliament for it to debate a call for an investigation into the Soma coal mine tragedy on Tuesday.

The party demanded an investigation into the disaster in detail, including analysis of the mining sector's problems and which measures should be taken to prevent more mining accidents.

Meanwhile, the General Assembly postponed a meeting on whether to set up a commission on the Soma disaster from Tuesday to Wednesday, following a dispute between MPs.

Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party and the People's Democratic Party have also previously submitted motions.

On Wednesday, MPs will also appoint five members out of 10 candidates to the Turkish Court of Accounts (Sayistay) who have been put forward by the parliament's planning and budget commission.

Opposition aims to censure ministers

Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party has brought a censure motion against two ministers over the 13 May Soma coal mine disaster in western Turkey in which 301 miners died.

Energy Minister Taner Yildiz and Labor and Social Security Minister Faruk Celik were cited in the motion submitted to the parliament speakers office on Tuesday by the deputy chiefs of the parliamentary group of the party, Akif Hamzacebi and Engin Altay.

The Rebublican People's Party claim the ministers failed to take due precautions, had not provided necessary inspections and failed to exercise control over the mine in the province of Manisa.

Last Mod: 21 Mayıs 2014, 09:31
Add Comment