Ankara suicide bomber false alert

Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Guler denies anyone being shot or wounded during the incident in front of Turkish Prime Minister's office.

Ankara suicide bomber false alert

World Bulletin / News Desk

The incident in front of the Turkish Prime Minister's office was not an act of terrorism and the man arrested was believed to be suffering from mental problems, said Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Guler on Thursday.

Guler answered the questions of journalists regarding the incident at an opening ceremony in Istanbul.

“There is no suicide bomber. The suspect tipped himself off to police,” he said.

"He had cables around his waist that looked like an explosive device. We believe he had psychological problems." Guler told reporters.

The 52-year-old man, identified as Tugrul Bayir, made an anonymous call to police 5 minutes before the incident tipping them off about plans for a suicide bombing. Police arrested the man immediately upon arrival.

“Police fired into air during the incident. Nobody was shot," he said, denying initial media reports that the man had been shot and wounded by police. “It is the police’s duty to take action in such situations,” said Minister Guler when asked why the police fired guns.

Tugrul Bayir, claimed to be wearing explosives, attempted to enter the Prime Minister's building on Thursday in Turkish capital Ankara.

Bayir was neutralized by the security forces and taken into custody.

Last Mod: 22 Kasım 2013, 13:13
Add Comment