Cirque du Soleil's trucks seized in Turkey amid rift

EXPO 2016 Antalya organizers say they lost $5M after Cirque du Soleil’s cancels 40 shows

Cirque du Soleil's trucks seized in Turkey amid rift

World Bulletin / News Desk

 Twenty-three trucks of a world famous circus were seized Turkish customs following a court ruling Tuesday.

Event organizers claimed the trucks were lost amid canceled performances and proceeding to others due to security measures after a recent failed coup attempt.

Organizers of EXPO 2016 Antalya said in a statement that the Montreal-based world renowned Cirque du Soleil team had already performed in Istanbul last week but canceled its 40 shows for EXPO 2016 due to Turkey’s state of emergency.

The EXPO 2016 said that it lost more than $5 million, according to the statement.

Harun Guzel, the Cultural Programs Editor for EXPO 2016 said Cirque du Soleil unfairly canceled the contract.

Guzel added that canceling shows for EXPO 2016 but performing in Istanbul was unacceptable and would damage the expo’s image.

Various shows have been canceled across Turkey this year due to Daesh and PKK attacks as well as the deadly July 15 overthrow attempt.

Backed by Turkey’s presidency, EXPO 2016 Antalya will end its run later this month October on its 121-hectare exhibition site.

EXPO 2016 Antalya adopted the theme, "Cultivating a Green Life for Future Generations", along with the motto. “A Green Life for Future Generations".

Millions of tourists from Turkey and abroad have visited the gardens and enjoyed the cultural and artistic activities of EXPO 2016 Antalya, during which national and international congresses, panels, meetings, and seminars have also been held.

 

 

Last Mod: 12 Ekim 2016, 09:06
Add Comment