Fire damages historic mosque in İstanbul

A fire in the historical Kemankeş Karamustafa Paşa mosque in İstanbul's Karaköy neighborhood has damaged the building.

Fire damages historic mosque in İstanbul

World Bulletin / News Desk

A number of historical buildings have been damaged or destroyed by fire recently, with the latest being the historic Kemankeş Karamustafa Paşa Mosque in İstanbul's Karaköy neighborhood early on Friday.

According to news reports, the fire broke out in the mosque's bathroom at 6:30 a.m. on Friday. Fire crews from the Beyoğlu, Fatih and Şişli districts arrived at the scene quickly and prevented the fire from spreading to other sections of the mosque, a 247-year-old edifice. The police extended a safety line around the mosque and temporarily closed surrounding roads to traffic. There was no loss of life, though the fire caused some damage to the building. The police have launched an investigation into the incident. The cause of the fire is yet to be determined.

Meanwhile, two other mosques in Turkey recently caught on fire as well. A fire broke out in a mosque in the Black Sea province of Bartın due to a problem in the electrical panel. A fire crew managed to put out the fire, which started at the entrance of the mosque and badly damaged some parts of the building. The police are investigating the incident.

In Çamlıbel in the Central Anatolian province of Tokat, a fire broke out in an old mosque at night for unknown reasons. The fire, which quickly engulfed the entire mosque, was extinguished by firefighters in the morning but the mosque was damaged beyond repair. The mayor of Çamlıbel stated that everything in the 380-year-old mosque had been destroyed except for an old Quran and an exegesis (tafsir) of the Quran.

The most recent devastating blaze took place on Jan. 22 when a fire tore through the historic Galatasaray University building along the Bosporus for hours on Tuesday night, badly damaging the historical building before firefighters brought it under control. As the blaze raged, firefighters had to use fireboats to pipe water from the Bosporus to hose down the 142-year-old wooden building. The fire, which started at around 7 p.m., took nearly four-and-a-half hours to extinguish. A total of 110 firefighters responded to the fire, assisted by 47 fire trucks and five fireboats.

Last Mod: 25 Ocak 2013, 17:17
Add Comment