World Bulletin / News Desk
The separatist militant group PKK in south-eastern Turkey has released three children who had been kidnapped from the Lice district of Diyarbakir in late April.
The release of the children comes after 17 days of sit-protests by their families outside the Diyarbakir municipality against the PKK.
Families have been highly concerned and holding sit-in protests in the southeastern city of Diyarbakir since the Kurdish separatist group reportedly kidnapped an unknown number of teenagers on 23 April, when Turkey celebrated its National Children's Day.
The incidents have threatened to destabilize a delicate "solution process" to end armed conflict and address the issues of minorities -- particularly those of the Kurdish minority -- which is by far Turkey’s largest ethnic group, accounting for some 18 percent of the population.
Meanwhile, a district police department has said that a 13-year old child who surrendered to security forces in the Beytussebap district in Sirnak, claimed to have been abducted by the PKK two months ago. The full name and gender of the child have been withheld.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party and Peoples' Democracy Party for not being "sincere" over the story of allegedly kidnapped children in Diyarbakir province.
"If the BDP and HDP are sincere, and whoever else wants to contribute to the solution process, they should do their best to bring those kids down from the mountains. Otherwise, the state of Turkey has its own procedures to apply to bring those teenagers back to their families," Erdogan said on Tuesday.
Two women were detained during a security operation at a house in the Yuksekova district of Turkey's southeastern Hakkari province over alleged attempts to send children to the outlawed PKK rebel group.Last Mod: 05 Haziran 2014, 15:42