Turkey hosted the 19th World Health & Safety at Work Congress and Fair on Sunday.
After visiting the fair, Turkish Labor & Social Security Minister Faruk Celik, the International Social Security Association (ISSA) Director General Errol Frank Stoove, and International Labor Organization (ILO) executive director Assane Diop held a joint press conference.
Celik said that congress on health and safety at work had been held once in three years since 1955, adding that he held a ministerial summit with 32 ministers within the scope of the congress.
The results of the summit took place in Istanbul Declaration signed after the meeting, he said.
Celik noted that the congress would continue for five days.
Meanwhile, Stoove said that the aim of the congress was to reduce work accidents and diseases.
Stoove said that Istanbul Declaration was signed by 28 ministers which was a very successful result, adding that they had never seen such a high political commitment.
On the other hand, Diop said that many steps had been taken and initiatives had been launched regarding work safety and health in the past, however, traditional risks at work places were still continuing.
Work accidents are still on unacceptable level, he said, adding that more than two million people were killed due to work accidents and diseases in 2008.
We need new employment models, global business safety and health culture, he noted.
AALast Mod: 12 Eylül 2011, 10:31