Turkey to block access to YouTube, rejects Twitter plea

Turkey's telecommunications authority has ordered servers in the country to block access to the video sharing website YouTube.

Turkey to block access to YouTube, rejects Twitter plea

World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkey blocked YouTube as a precaution after voice recordings purportedly of senior officials discussing a potential military operation in Syria created "a national security issue", a source at the prime minister's office said on Thursday.

The source said that Turkey was in talks with the video sharing platform and may lift the ban if YouTube agreed to remove the content.

TURKEY REJECTS TWITTER PLEA

An Istanbul court on Thursday rejected Twitter's legal challenges against its blockage in Turkey.

The Istanbul court rejected the petition, which was made to reverse a court order taken after former Transport Minister Binali Yildirim's legal complaint that his privacy had been violated.

The micro-blogging site announced Wednesday that it had filed lawsuits in the Turkish courts to challenge its blocking.

Announcing the challenges via a blog post, Twitter’s General Counsel Vijaya Gadde said that two of the three posts which the Turkish courts issued verdicts ordering their removal had been taken down.

However, the company expressed concerns regarding a third verdict ordering the removal of the account containing accusations on Yildirim.

"That’s why today we have also petitioned the Turkish court on behalf of our users to reverse this order," wrote Gadde.

Turkey's telecommunications authority restricted access to Twitter on March 21 after complaints that certain content on the site violated privacy rights.

The decision was based on four court orders, the Telecommunications Presidency said.

Claiming that Twitter's management ignored calls from the Turkish government, the authorities described the move as a temporary measure, not a ban.

Last Mod: 27 Mart 2014, 20:46
Add Comment