Turkey will not refer to the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) a chamber judgement on Turkish journalist of Armenian origin Hrant Dink case, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
A ministry statement said that the ECHR combined five separate applications of late journalist Dink and his family, and made public its decision earlier on Tuesday.
The court ruled that Turkey had failed to protect the life of a slain Turkish-Armenian journalist.
The top European court ruled that Turkey had violated Articles 2, 10, 13 of the European Convention on Human Rights, relating to right to life, freedom of expression, and right to an effective remedy.
The court fined Turkey to pay 105,000 Euro to the Dink family.
In its statement, the Turkish ministry said Turkey decided not to refer the judgement to the Grand Chamber.
"Turkey will launch necessary initiatives to implement the provisions of the Dink judgement, and take every measure to prevent recurrence of such violations in the future," the ministry also said.
In their application, Dink's family alleged that the state failed in its obligation to protect the life of Hrant Dink, and to conduct an effective investigation.
They also complained of the verdict of a Turkish court against Hrant Dink which, they claim, made him a target for extreme nationalist groups.
The editor-in-chief of bilingual Turkish-Armenian weekly newspaper "Agos" published in Istanbul, Dink was shot dead outside his newspaper's offices on January 19, 2007.
52-year-old Dink Dink was found guilty in 2006 of "denigrating Turkish identity" under Article 301 of the Turkish Criminal Code.
AALast Mod: 14 Eylül 2010, 17:58