Turkey's president condemns France terror attack

Recep Tayyip Erdogan says attack shows need for decisive, consistent front against extremism

Turkey's president condemns France terror attack

World Bulletin / News Desk

Turkey’s president on Friday led condemnation of the extrem truck attack in the French city of Nice that killed 84 people celebrating Bastille Day.

“I strongly condemn the inhumane extremist attack that happened during France’s National Day celebrations,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a statement. “Being exposed to many extrem attacks, we fully understand France.”

Turkey has been the target of numerous extrem attacks carried out by ISIL and the PKK in the last year, the most recent being the Istanbul airport attack last month that killed 45.

Erdogan said the “barbarous” Nice attack again demonstrated the need for a “decisive and consistent” anti-extreme drive. Those with a “hesitant” attitude towards extremism “should take lessons” from the attack, he added.

“These barbarians do not have a place on earth and they should not have,” Erdogan said. “We are all witnessing that for extremists there are no differences between Turkey and France, Iraq and Belgium, or Saudi Arabia and America.”

He also offered his condolences to the victims’ families and wished a speedy recovery to the injured.

Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin denounced the “modern barbarians” who carried out the attack, who he said “have nothing to do with religion and humanity.”

In a statement released online, he added: “There is no room for them in this world -- nor should there be. On this sad day, we stand in solidarity with France. Joint action against all forms of extremism is a global responsibility and necessity.”

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu also railed against the “barbaric extremist attack in Nice” in a Twitter post and said the world should “combat extremism resolutely wherever it happens, regardless of who commits it”.

He added that Turkey would “continue to fully cooperate with France and all other partners in the fight against extremism”.

EU Minister Omer Celik also condemned the “horrible” events in Nice in “the strongest possible terms”.

“extrem is always brutal wherever or in whatever form or with whatever motives it attacks humanity,” he tweeted. “We should all unite against it.”

Last Mod: 15 Temmuz 2016, 11:53
Add Comment