World Bulletin / News Desk
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki agreed "in principle" to increase the compensation package allocated to residents of the violence-wracked Anbar province, a provincial official said Friday.
The Iraqi government had allocated 20 billion dinars (roughly $16 million) to compensate afflicted families due to the ongoing military operation in the predominantly Sunni western province.
"Al-Maliki agreed to raise the package to 30 billion dinars (roughly $26 million) upon a request from the province's local council," Deputy Governor Faleh al-Essawi told Anadolu Agency.
"Anbar's local author informed the Prime Minister that the package specified by the Cabinet was not enough to compensate all displaced people whose homes and property sustained damage."
Al-Essawi said that al-Maliki said that the package could be increased by up to 50 percent, calling on displaced people who had fled the province to return home.
According to latest official estimates, around 60,000 families had been displaced from Anbar since the beginning to the military operation last December.
According to Cabinet officials, the government had specified 2 billion dinars (roughly $1.8 million) for emergency aid to displaced families and distributed 10 billion dinars (around $9 million) to displaced families outside Anbar.
Al-Essawi had previously said that 1700 families had returned to the province's capital, Ramadi, after government troops regained control of several districts of the city following violent confrontations with armed tribesmen and militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group.
The Iraqi army has waged a major military operation in Sunnis-dominated Anbar in December with the stated aim of flushing rebel fighters out of the province's key cities of Ramadi and Fallujah.
Hundreds have been killed or injured since violence broke out in the two cities, according to government estimates.Last Mod: 28 Şubat 2014, 13:34