Brazil marks 50th anniversary of military coup

As Brazil marks the 50th anniversary of the military coup which led to over two decades of military rule and the disappearance or death of almost 500 people, President Rousseff urges Brazilians to look back and learn lessons from the event.

Brazil marks 50th anniversary of military coup

World Bulletin / News Desk

Brazil has marked 50 years since the 1964 coup d'état which ushered in 21 years of military dictatorship and the disappearance or death of almost 500 people during that time.

Thousands of others were arrested, exiled, tortured and deprived of their political rights.

President Dilma Rousseff, who fought against the dictatorship before being jailed and tortured by the military, said at a special event at the Presidential Palace on Monday that the coup, known as the Golpe, had to be remembered as part of the process which led to democracy in Brazil today.

“We learned the value of freedom, the value of an independent, active parliament and judiciary,” Rousseff said in an emotional speech. “We learned the value of a free press, the value of voting.”

“What is required of us today is that we remember and tell the story of what happened: we owe this to all those who died and disappeared, to those who were tortured and persecuted, to their families, and to all Brazilians,” Rousseff concluded.

On March 31, 1964, troops led by Gen. Olímpio Mourão headed towards Rio de Janeiro from the neighboring state of Minas Gerais to execute the coup which had been in the planning for years.

Battling a spluttering economy and dwindling support President João Goulart, known as “Jango,” was ousted from power and eventually fled with his family to neighboring Uruguay.

Investigations ongoing

Pedro Simon, who is still a senator at the age of 84 and was a personal friend of President Goulart, told UOL news website that the coup “took everyone by surprise” and that “no one thought things would erupt the way they did.”

Goulart died 12 years later in exile in Argentina, in what was reported as a heart attack.

However, suspicions that he had been killed, possibly poisoned as part of Operation Condor to rid South America of left-wing politicians and their supporters, have never faded.

In March 2013, a National Truth Commission (NTC) set up to investigate human rights violations for a period which includes the military dictatorship, announced that it would look into Goulart's death at the behest of his family. His body was exhumed in November and taken to Brasília for formal analysis.

There has been a mixed reaction to the Commission, whose mandate includes attempting to establish what happened during the years of military rule through witnesses and re-examining available evidence.

Critics of the investigation from the military say they believe the inquiry is an attempt by the political left to exact revenge.

As recently as last week Colonel Paulo Malhães gave testimony to the NTC in which he admitted killing political prisoners and disfiguring and hiding their bodies.

'Opening old wounds'

But a 1979 amnesty law, according to which no one can be tried for any human rights abuses committed during the dictatorship, means that Malhães will not stand trial.

And that’s one reason why the NTC has come under fire from relatives of those who were lost, some of whom believe it has done little more than open up old wounds with minimal gain.

For although there have been a small number of ceremonies and protests, including by those urging today's military to topple President Rousseff's center-left government by force, Brazil appears to have chosen largely to consign this chapter of recent history to the past.

Last Mod: 01 Nisan 2014, 10:13
Add Comment