World Bulletin / News Desk
A strike by bus drivers in São Paulo entered its second day Wednesday, with many commuters struggling to reach workplaces and schools.
Drivers and conductors from five bus companies continued their wildcat industrial action and protested at various locations Wednesday, with buses lined up to block bus lanes and at least 12 out of 28 bus terminals out of action by Wednesday lunchtime.
The walkout by the bus staff comes just three weeks ahead of the World Cup, and other public workers have threatened walkouts that could weigh on the sporting mega-event.
“The State cannot be held hostage by a small group of people whether they are associated with a union or not,” the city's municipal transport secretary Jilmar Tatto said, characterizing the bus workers' actions as “sabotage” and “vandalism.”
“São Paulo cannot allow this type of behavior,” Tatto said.
Analysts say disgruntled workers are taking advantage of the upcoming event to ramp up pressure on the government, but unions have said strike action is always a last resort.
The main bus workers' union in São Paulo distanced itself from the ongoing industrial action and labeled it the work of “dissidents”. A planned strike was called off earlier this week after sides reached a deal on a 10 percent pay increase, but dissidents are calling for salaries to rise by 33 percent.
More to come
Local media estimated some 300,000 commuters have been affected on the second day of strike action. A total of 16 terminals were forced to close Tuesday evening, choking many of the city's bus services.
Chaotic scenes were witnessed in the city's metro and local rail services, which have taken up much of the slack. However, these services might also go on strike next week, transport unions warn.
Professor Carla Diéguez, an expert on Brazil's unions from São Paulo's School of Sociology and Politics (FESPSP) said the situation will worsen as the World Cup arrives and will bring in other public sectors.
“These are opportunistic strikes but even though people's commutes are disrupted, there is support from the public which sees what is happening as the result of government underfunding,” Diéguez told the Anadolu Agency. Underfunding of key transport infrastructure prompted mass popular protests 2013, she said.
“Smaller, union-led protests, some of which have adopted very confrontational and even violent tactics, have now taken the place of those mass protests,” Diéguez said.
The strikes will ratchet up pressure on both local and federal government and Brazil will see more uncontrolled, wildcat strikes, the union expert said, given how effective they are at bringing large swathes of the city to its knees.
World Cup threat
Strikes have also affected other public services and not just in São Paulo.
Teachers have also continued their near-month-long walkout, which began on April 23, and were joined Wednesday by staff from a number of universities.
Wednesday also saw a 24-hour walkout by Brazil's civil police over pay in at least 12 states, including Rio de Janeiro.
The government has played down the industrial action by the country's investigative police department, whose members are seeking a pay rise of up to 80 percent.
However, threats of strike action during the World Cup by federal police, who oversee immigration at international airports, and military police, charged with keeping order on the streets and responding to protests, are likely to cause more concerns for officials, despite the contingency plans they say are in place.
Some 600,000 foreign visitors are expected to join over 3 million Brazilian tourists traveling around the country for the key football (soccer) tournament which begins in São Paulo on June 12.Last Mod: 22 Mayıs 2014, 11:10