TURKISH PRESS REVIEW on AUG. 25

Turkish dailies' front pages on Monday covered the assault of a prominent surgeon, reportedly by the former mayor of Sarikamis, in eastern Turkey, and the latest clashes between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

TURKISH PRESS REVIEW on AUG. 25

The Anadolu Agency does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.

Turkish dailies' front pages on Monday covered the assault of a prominent surgeon, reportedly by the former mayor of Sarikamis, in eastern Turkey, and the latest clashes between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip, which have left more than 2,100 Palestinians dead since July 7.

VATAN ran the headline, "Bullets target life-saving surgeon" reporting that well-known Turkish cardiovascular surgeon, Bingur Sonmez, was alledgedly assaulted by Ilhan Ozbilen, the former mayor of Sarikamis, in the eastern province of Kars.

Following a commemoration for Sarikamis martyrs, who had fought in World War I, Sonmez was shot in the arm and leg at Gaziler square before being taken to Sarikamis Public Hospital, according to a hospital official.

"Former Mayor shoots the surgeon" headlined MILLIYET. The daily said the former mayor Ilhan Ozbilen had been arrested. Police have not yet indicated a motive for the assault.

Most Turkish dailies also covered the latest developments in Israel's attack on Gaza as the Palestinian death toll rose to over 2,100.

"The silence of the world triggers the genocide," said YENI SAFAK, referring to the letter, written by over 300 Jewish survivors and descendants of survivors of the Holocaust to condemn the attack of Israel against Gaza.

The letter condemns Israel’s massacre of Palestinians and urges for an "end to the genocide of the Palestinian people."

SABAH also covered the Israeli attacks with the headline "Israel directly targets civilians" on its front page. Over the past few days, the Israeli military has deliberately targeted civilian homes, the daily states.

According to the Health Ministry, over 2,100 Palestinians have been killed in the Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip since July 7. The ministry added that at least 10,860 people have also been injured in the Israeli onslaught.

The latest Palestinian death toll has now surpassed the number of deaths in the last two major Israeli offensives in the Gaza Strip combined - including 2008/9's operation "Cast Lead" which killed at least 1,500 Palestinians in three weeks.

At least 68 Israelis – 64 soldiers and four civilians – have been killed, according to Israeli figures.

Last Mod: 25 Ağustos 2014, 11:38
Add Comment