Anadolu Agency does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
Turkish dailies on Monday cover an array of topics including honor killings, an exclusive interview with Kemal Dervis, former head of the United Nations Development Programme, quota for the tourists to attend the 2015 Gallipoli Dawn Service.
Daily MILLIYET presents an 'honor killing' case that reportedly took place in Turkey's southeast. The story says a 19-year-old woman, Hacire, who had been pregnant for eight and a half month, was killed by her cousins. Hacire got pregnant following a relationship with Cuma, in the province of Sanliurfa when they were both working as seasonal workers. Hacire's family eventually found out about her pregnancy and agreed on an abortion. But the hospital could not do the abortion as she was pregnant for three and a half month. Cuma and his family rejected the baby. For fear of an honor killing, Hacire's mother sent her daughter to a relative in the city of Diyarbakir. When Hacire was eight-and-a-half-month pregnant, her cousins took her to the town of Viransehir on the pretext of trying to reconcile her with the larger family. There they allegedly killed her by strangling.
Daily HURRIYET features an exclusive interview with Kemal Dervis, former head of the United Nations Development Programme and former minister of state responsible for economic affairs. Dervis took over the Turkish economy in March 2001 after Turkey faced one of the worst economical crises in its modern history. "(There is) neither crisis nor confidence," says the headline on the front of HURRIYET. Dervis, who is called "the doctor of the 2001 crisis" in the sub-headline, is quoted as saying "Currently Turkey is not in an economic crisis atmosphere, but I observe a serious lack of confidence."
Daily HABERTURK carries the headline "No need for a quota, we can host 50,000 people," referring to the quota set by the Anzacs for the tourists to attend the 2015 Gallipoli Dawn Service, which will mark the centenary of the Battle of Gallipoli during which more than 10,000 Australia and New Zealand nationals died. Australia had announced that there would be a 10,000 limit on the number of people attending the service in 2015. HABERTURK quotes mayor of the Canakkale province, Ulgur Gokhan, as saying there is no need for a quota because Canakkale can host everyone who will come to Turkey to attend.Last Mod: 03 Şubat 2014, 11:19