TURKISH PRESS REVIEW ON MAR 25

Turkish dailies continued to report on new details concerning attack in Brussels

TURKISH PRESS REVIEW ON MAR 25

World Bulletin / News Desk

Friday's dailies continued to cover new developments on the Brussels attack which killed at least 31 people and wounded hundreds others in multiple explosions at Zaventem airport and a metro station in Brussels Tuesday morning. 

VATAN said that Brahim el-Bakraoui, suspected suicide bomber in the Brussels airport attack, had been arrested in Gaziantep, and was deported not only once, as previously reported, but twice, by the Turkish government - in July 2015 to the Netherlands, and a second time in August. The paper does not specify to where. 

The daily ran with the headline "Two deportations, three warnings", adding that, after the Paris attacks in November, Turkey had warned Europe a third time about both brothers, Brahim and Khalid - who blew himself up in a subway station in Brussels.

On Wednesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had announced that Turkey had deported the attacker and had warned Belgian government.

"However, despite our warnings that this person is a foreign terrorist fighter, Belgium failed to detect the terrorist links of this person," the Turkish president said.

The daily also reported that according to the Belgian media, the suicide bombers' main aim was to attack a nuclear site in Belgium but they reportedly decided to change targets after a suspect in the Paris attacks Salah Abdeslam was arrested last Friday.

On Tuesday, workers at Belgium's Tihange nuclear power plant were evacuated after the terrorist attacks. The nuclear facility is located in the city of Liege, about an hour's drive from the capital Brussels. With three nuclear reactors, it is one of the biggest in Belgium.

SABAH ran with the headline "Europe did not listen, bombs explode".

According to the daily, Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon and Justice Minister Koen Geens offered their resignations after Erdogan's remarks over the attackers but these were rejected by Prime Minister Charles Michel.

In the Netherlands, far-right leader Geert Wilders said that Prime Minister Mark Rutte must resign should Erdogan's claims prove true.

 

El-Bakraoui, a Belgian national, was reportedly deported to the Netherlands in July 2015, where he claimed he was living at the time. The Turkish Foreign Ministry said it had informed both the Belgian and Dutch authorities of his expulsion. 

AKSAM's headline read "Ankara warns 'This man is terrorist', Brussels replies 'He has no links with terrorism'".

The daily said that despite Turkey's warnings about the attackers, Belgian authorities ignored it, saying "no links with terrorism" were found.

Turkish newspapers also covered ex-Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic being sentenced to 40 years in jail on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity during the in the Bosnian war that left tens of thousands of people dead.

"40 years for butcher of Bosnia" was the headline for both CUMHURIYET and HURRIYET.

International Criminal Court sentences him to 40 years for crimes against humanity, HURRIYET said.

UN judges found him guilty on 10 counts out of a total of 11 charges, the daily added.

He was charged with 11 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, including the siege of Sarajevo and the Srebrenica genocide, Europe's worst atrocity since World War II.

Karadzic - who has been dubbed 'Butcher of Bosnia' - was first indicted in July 1995 for the shooting of unarmed civilians in Sarajevo and taking UN peacekeepers hostage. Four months later, he was accused of orchestrating the slaughter of some 8,000 Muslim men and boys after Serb forces seized the UN’s Srebrenica “safe area” in eastern Bosnia.

In domestic news, Turkish dailies also covered a PKK bomb attack in southeastern Turkey.

"Disloyal attack" was MILLIYET's headline.

According to the newspaper, three Turkish soldiers were martyred and 24 others wounded in a PKK terrorist attack on a military post near the Diyarbakir-Lice inter-city highway on Thursday night.

HABER TURK covered the story with the headline "Betrayal with a bomb" while STAR used the headline "Cowardly attack in Diyarbakir".

Last Mod: 25 Mart 2016, 13:17
Add Comment