TURKISH PRESS REVIEW ON NOV 9

The upcoming G20 Turkey summit in southern province Antalya dominates the front pages of Turkish dailies on Monday

TURKISH PRESS REVIEW ON NOV 9

World Bulletin / News Desk

Many Turkish newspapers on Monday dedicated their front pages to the upcoming G20 Turkey summit, which will be held in the Mediterranean city of Antalya between Nov. 15 and 16.

"We will not be onlooker" was AKSAM's headline, reporting that Turkey would give this message at the summit regarding international counter-terrorism efforts and the Syria crisis.

According to the paper, Turkey will also express its determination in solving the regional crisis as well as giving a clear message to the world leaders that the country will not contend itself with only watching the problems on its border with Syria.

The G20 leaders’ summit will host foreign heads of state from China, the U.S., Russia, Germany, Japan, France, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, India, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, the U.K. and EU leaders.

The STAR featured a story, reporting that the summit will also boost the local economy by contributing an estimated €200 million to the national economy.

According to the paper, Saudi Arabia will spend the most during the summit; the Saudi delegation is expected to spend a million dollars per day.

VATAN ran the headline: "Air-and-land blockade in Belek," referring to the extraordinary security measures taken in the district where the summit will be held.

The daily said that 6,000 police personnel would be posted at the summit. Turkey's Intelligence Service (MIT) also took some special measures, while mobile electronic system integration (MOBESE) cameras had been installed with facial-recognition systems, according to the paper.

On Nov. 6, Turkish police detained 20 people in anti-ISIL operations in Antalya.

ISIL is said to have carried out the Oct. 10 Ankara bombings that claimed 102 lives as well as the July 20 Suruc blast that killed 33 people.

In other news, Turkish papers also covered the funeral ceremony of a soldier who was martyred Saturday in a mine blast by PKK terrorists in southeastern Sirnak province.

"I could not hug and kiss my son" was MILLIYET's front page wrote, citing the mother of the martyred soldier at her son’s funeral ceremony in his hometown Bartin, a province in northern Turkey.

According to Sirnak governorate, the martyred soldier stepped on a landmine in Uludere village, near the border with Iraq.

SABAH ran the headline: "Terrorist organization gets a severe blow," adding that the Turkish military killed 13 terrorists in separate operations against the PKK in southeastern provinces of Hakkari and Silvan.

Turkish forces have been fighting the PKK since a two-and-a-half year cease-fire broke down in late July following the Suruc massacre.

Last Mod: 09 Kasım 2015, 12:16
Add Comment