World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish dailies on Monday heavily covered Saturday’s twin blasts in the Turkish capital Ankara, which claimed the lives of almost 100 people who were at a peace rally -- three weeks before the country’s upcoming parliamentary elections on Nov. 1.
The Turkish Prime Minister’s Office confirmed late Sunday that two suicide bombers were responsible for the attack that claimed 97 lives and injured more than 200 people.
“Identification efforts continue on bodies of two male terrorists who were ascertained to be suicide bombers,” the Prime Ministry coordination center said in a statement.
No group has claimed responsibility, but Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has said Monday morning ISIL was the focus of investigations on the attack.
“Police trace ISIL,” said HURRIYET using one of the many acronyms attributed to the militant group ISIL.
In order to identify the attackers, the newspaper reported that DNA samples had been collected from members of the families of 16 suspected ISIL militants whose movements in Turkey had been monitored by police in the past several months.
The daily also added an internal investigation -- as well as an administrative one -- was being launched to determine if "the attack could have been prevented 'despite [the existence of] intelligence that two suicide bombers would act’” within the country.
HURRIYET claimed that security cameras at the site had caught a clear image of one of the suspected suicide bombers.
According to the newspaper, the method of the attack and the amount of explosives used resembled the deadly bombing in Suruc that claimed 32 lives in late July in southeastern Turkey. The attack was blamed on ISIL. No group has yet to claim responsibility for the attack.
The renewal of violence in late July -- following the Suruc attack -- had ended a two-and-a-half year cease-fire with the PKK.
Most newspapers published a large number of photographs of the victims on their front pages.
HURRIYET interviewed Izzettin Cevik who lost his daughter as well as his sister in Saturday’s attack.
The picture of Cevik Izzettin with blood on his face comforting his crying wife has traveled the world and was featured on nearly all front pages Monday.
"As they called for peace, my two hearts disappeared,” Cevik was quoted by HURRIYET as saying.
Cevik, who is a teacher in Turkey’s southeastern province of Sanliurfa, was in Ankara with his wife Hatice who is Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) candidate in the upcoming parliamentary elections, as well as with his daughter and his sister.
“Turkey cries,” was the headline of HABER TURK above the picture of Cevik and Hatice Izzettin.
The newspaper said Turkey mourns “young and senior, urban and rural, female and male victims of terror”.
HABER TURK also mentioned the death of 9-year-old Veysel Atilgan and his father Ibrahim, 52, in the attack.
SABAH claimed that around 300 specialists have been assigned to participate in a thorough investigation on the attack.
VATAN ran the headline “The biggest pain,” while CUMHURIYET said, “This society will not cringe”, reporting on protests condemning the attack at the blast site in Ankara and in other major Turkish cities.
Turkish dailies also noted that a meeting between Prime Minister and Justice and Development (AK) Party leader Ahmet Davutoglu and CHP chairman Kemal Kilicdaroglu had taken place in Ankara.
The Prime Ministry’s press office said the two leaders exchanged views on the ongoing investigation into the “heinous attack”.
“Two ministers should be gone,” CUMHURIYET wrote, claiming that Kilicdaroglu had demanded the resignation of the interior and justice ministers, respectively Selami Altinok and Kenan Ipek, both independent members of the cabinet.
MILLIYET wrote “2 leaders agree to a close dialog” on its front page featuring a picture of Davutoglu and Kilicdaroglu shaking hands.Last Mod: 12 Ekim 2015, 13:03