Anadolu Agency does not verify these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
All Turkish dailies on Monday covered the elevator accident which caused the death of 10 workers in Istanbul on Saturday evening.
An elevator dropped down a shaft and crashed into the ground at a construction site in Istanbul's central Mecidiyekoy neighborhood.
The elevator dropped 32 stories, HABER TURK reports, quoting Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu saying, "I cannot believe that it was an accident."
The daily says the claims of negligence were numerous following the accident. HABER TURK included the construction company's response, saying that all maintenance had been carried out.
Aziz Torun, director general of the Torunlar Real Estate Investment Company that runs the construction site, said the company has always checked safety onsite, AKSAM reports.
According to newspaper SABAH, Torun denied claims that the elevator was always out of order. He said, "This is a total lie. I myself took the lift ten days ago..."
However, MILLIYET cites several workers who claimed that they had often encountered problems with the elevator.
The paper quotes Ahmet Demir as saying, "It was broken in the morning when we arrived for work. Hundreds of workers waited for an hour and a half for it to be fixed. It dropped [on Thursday] with nobody inside..."
Another worker, Nazim Altindemir said an accident was bound to happen. "We always prayed when we were inside... We heard it creak when it moved up and down."
CUMHURIYET covers the sad story of two brothers, Tahir Kara (25) and Ferdi (19), who both died in the accident. One had recently completed his military service, the other was on the verge of joining.
The exact cause of the accident is still unknown.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Sunday that the accident would be thoroughly investigated, VATAN reports.
"I want to assure you that we will investigate this incident thoroughly and will take all measures to prevent such accidents in the future," the paper cites him telling the reporters in his home city of Konya.
HURRIYET says the eight people detained for questioning in relation to the incident on Saturday had all been released. Four Torunlar company executives have been called in for questioning by police, reports the paper.
According to International Labor Organization (ILO) figures, Turkey ranks first in Europe and third in the world for fatal work accidents. The organization says 18 out of 100,000 insured laborers die every year in work-related accidents, more than seven times the EU average of 2.5 out of 100,000.Last Mod: 08 Eylül 2014, 12:13