World Bulletin / News Desk
Many dailies on Tuesday dedicated their front pages to a major anti-terror demonstration call made by Turkey's leading 14 non-governmental organizations on Monday.
VATAN ran the headline: "Take your flag and come."
Officials from 14 NGOs gathered in the capital Ankara on Monday, calling on millions of people across Turkey to take part in the demonstration to be held the city’s Sihhiye square on Thursday.
There will be no party symbol but only Turkish flags during the meeting, according to Rifat Hisarciklioglu, head of the Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges (TOBB), who leads the gathering.
“We also call on millions of others, who cannot take part in the demonstrations, to furnish everywhere with Turkish flags,” Hisarciklioglu added.
MILLIYET’s headline read: “Our common ground is [the] Turkish flag” while economic newspaper DUNYA wrote: “No to terror, yes to brotherhood.”
In other news, VATAN wrote: “Schengen has collapsed.” The newspaper said that EU countries could not find any solution to the refugee crisis.
Europe is facing what is being described as the worst refugee crisis in the continent since the World War II. It recently decided to accept up to 140,000 refugees.
“When Germany has started controls on its borders, other countries [Hungary, Austria, the Netherlands, and Slovakia] have followed it. The free movement [between member states] has ended,” the daily added.
The move came after German Interior Minister Thomas De Maiziere said the aim of the border control measures was to limit the flow of people into the country and ensure orderly entries.
Similarly, SABAH used a headline which read: “EU has suspended Schengen,” while MILLIYET covered the story with the headline: “Domino effect on Schengen.”
The European Commission said on Sunday that the new measures were not in violation of the Schengen agreement, which guarantees free movement between member states for EU citizens.
Egyptian security forces' mistaken killing of 12 tourists during a counter-terrorism raid in the Western Sahara Desert was another news item covered by Turkish papers.
"Tourist massacre by Egyptian police" was MILLIYET's front-page headline, while CUMHURIYET's headline read: "They [Egyptian security forces] shoot tourists."
In a Monday statement, the Egypt’s Interior Ministry said that a joint police/army force had engaged four vehicles that had entered a restricted zone in the area’s Wahat region “while chasing terrorist elements”.
“Twelve people were killed and 10 others were injured in the attack,” the ministry said, noting that it had since established a fact-finding committee to investigate the incident. Sources said that eight Mexican citizens were among those killed in the attack.
Egypt’s Tourism Ministry said the tourists had been in an off-limit area and had been using unlicensed vehicles for a safari expedition which had not been approved by the local authorities.Güncelleme Tarihi: 15 Eylül 2015, 11:55