World Bulletin / News Desk
Monday's dailies dedicated their front pages to a "bloody" PKK attack on a convoy of armored vehicles on Sunday in the Daglica district of the southeastern Hakkari province.
The number of casualties was not officially verified but, according to the Turkish dailies, the attack left "at least 15 soldiers dead".
"Atrocious ambush in Daglica," HURRIYET and MILLIYET's headlines' read.
According to HURRIYET, nearly 400 kilograms of explosives blew up as two armed army vehicles were crossing in Daglica, which borders Iran and Iraq. After the explosion, the terrorists attacked the Turkish soldiers with rockets and long-barreled weapons.
"We will make them pay for this," was SABAH's headline, citing President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who spoke during a live television interview Sunday.
The paper reported that Erdogan said that the Turkish military forces had killed “thousands” of terrorists in operations so far.
"The operations will continue," Erdogan said, according to daily.
Releasing a statement early Monday, after the attack, the Turkish General Staff also said that during an operation launched after the attack, 13 PKK targets were bombed by two F-16 and two F-14 aircraft.
"Despite the bad weather conditions, the operations will continue," it said.
The attack in Daglica is the latest since the PKK, which is designated as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU, renewed an armed campaign against the Turkish state in the aftermath of the July 20 suicide bombing in Sanliurfa province’s Suruc district.
More than 75 members of the security forces have been martyred in the violence so far while land-and-air operations in Turkey and northern Iraq have killed more than 960 terrorists, according to security sources.
The fighting between PKK terrorists and security forces had seen a fragile lull for a two-and-a-half year period from early 2013 in what is publicly known as the "solution process" in an attempt to end the decades-long conflict.
In football news, the papers covered the Turkey's victory against the Netherlands in the Group A qualifier game for the Euro 2016, in the central Turkish province of Konya on Sunday.
"We dedicate to our martyrs [in Daglica]," HABERTURK said, quoting the team manager Fatih Terim who spoke during a press conference after the match.
VATAN ran with the headline: "An epic night," reporting that Turkey recorded a historic 3-0 victory against the Netherlands.
Turkey are now in third place in Group A, a spot that guarantees a participation in a two-legged playoff against a third-place team from another group, of which the winner moves to the Euro 2016, to take place in France next summer.Last Mod: 07 Eylül 2015, 11:08