World Bulletin / News Desk
Veteran journalist Hasan Cemal has parted ways with the Milliyet daily, for which he had been working since 1998, following a controversy over Milliyet's publishing of the secret minutes of a meeting between the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) leader and Kurdish deputies last month, a news portal reported on Monday.
According to an article on T24 penned by Doğan Akın, Cemal decided to quit his job at the daily when an article he sent to the daily to be published on Tuesday was rejected by Miliyet Editor-in-chief Derya Sazak.
Both Sazak and Cemal defended Milliyet's publishing of the secret minutes, drawing harsh criticism from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
The meeting with PKK leader Abdullah Öcalan took place as part of ongoing peace talks between the government and the PKK, which aim to resolve Turkey's long-standing Kurdish problem and disarm the militant organization.
In a speech in Balıkesir province on March 2, Erdoğan harshly criticized Cemal for his stance on the leak, saying, “This kind of journalism should go to hell.”
Akın said Erdoğan's remarks prompted Milliyet's owner, Erdoğan Demirören, to ask Sazak to part ways with Cemal and Can Dündar, another Milliyet columnist with the same stance on the leak incident.
The crisis was seemingly resolved as Cemal was given a two-week-long break as a punishment while Dündar continued to write his articles.
Yet, the article sent by Cemal to the daily at the end of this period was rejected by Sazak, who asked the columnist to write another article. Cemal reportedly told Sazak that he will not send another article as long as his latest article is not published.
Akın claimed that Cemal's latest article was on the relationship between the media and government and included criticism of this relationship.Last Mod: 18 Mart 2013, 17:56