13 killed in southern Yemen clashes

In a Tuesday statement, the self-styled Southern Resistance Brigades said that it attacked security forces in the province, killing 13 soldiers and injured others.

13 killed in southern Yemen clashes

World Bulletin / News Desk

The death toll of deadly clashes between Yemeni army forces and separatists in the southern province of Ad Dali' rose to 13, military and local sources said.

In a Tuesday statement, the self-styled Southern Resistance Brigades said that it attacked security forces in the province, killing 13 soldiers and injured others.

The group alleged that it has taken several Yemeni soldiers hostage and "will hand them over to the International Committee of the Red Cross in the near future".

According to the sources, 16 soldiers had been taken hostage and two army vehicles destroyed in the attacks.

Twenty people were also injured in an ensuing shootout, according to the sources.

The militants also destroyed two military vehicles in the attack, according to witnesses.

In recent months, southern Yemen has seen fierce clashes between the army and separatists who call for the secession of the south.

Yemen has remained in a state of relative chaos since the ouster of long-serving president Ali Abdullah Saleh in early 2012.

Last Mod: 19 Şubat 2014, 11:14
Add Comment