World Bulletin / News Desk
A military vehicle struck a roadside bomb in North Sinai’s city of Sheikh Zuweid, killing a soldier and injuring an army officer.
Another soldier was killed and nine others were injured in three separate bomb attacks in the same city on Sunday.
There was no comment from the Egyptian army on the latest attacks.
The military, however, said in a statement that 14 militants had been killed in an exchange of fire with security forces in North Sinai, which has seen an uptick in militant attacks in recent weeks in which dozens of soldiers were killed.
Since mid-2013, when Mohamed Morsi -- Egypt’s first freely-elected president -- was ousted in a military coup, hundreds of Egyptian security personnel deployed in Sinai have been killed amid an ongoing militant insurgency.
The Egyptian security forces, meanwhile, continue to wage a fierce campaign -- involving elements from both the police and the army -- against what they describe as Sinai-based "extremist groups".
Egypt’s army-backed authorities say they are battling the Welayat Sinai (Province of Sinai) group, which is said to have links to the ISIL extremist organization.