World Bulletin / News Desk
At least 44 people have been killed in a new wave of deadly clashes between Houthi rebels and pro-government forces across war-torn Yemen.
Battles broke out on Saturday in Nahm district, east of Sanaa, in which 19 Houthi militants were killed and scores injured, pro-government commander Abdullah al-Shandaqi said in a statement posted on his Facebook page.
“Three government forces were killed in the violence,” he said.
According to al-Shanqadi, pro-government forces have managed to capture the Mobdia village and Bani Bariq mountains from Houthi rebels during the confrontations.
Eleven Houthis and allied forces were also killed on Saturday and 17 others injured in clashes with government forces in the southwestern Taiz province.
Six pro-government fighters were also injured in the violence, according to a statement by the pro-government forces.
In a related development, four civilians were killed and ten others injured in a Houthi shelling of western Taiz on Saturday.
Meanwhile, seven Houthi militants were killed in an attack by government forces on their vehicle in the southern al-Bayda’ province.
Yemen has been wracked by chaos since late 2014, when the Houthis and their allies overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country.
The conflict escalated in March of last year when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a major air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi gains and supporting Yemen’s Saudi-backed government.
Last Mod: 06 Kasım 2016, 14:45