After Morsi sentence, mass executions begin

After the death sentence penalty given to ousted President Mohamed Morsi, Egypt has begun mass executions, starting with the hanging of six young men for alleged attacks on soldiers on Cairo last year.

After Morsi sentence, mass executions begin

World Bulletin / News Desk

Following the death sentence penalty for ex President Mohamed, Morsi, Egypt has begun mass exectutions with starting with the handing deaeth of  six young men with links to ISIL for allegedly carrying out an attack on soldiers near Cairo last year, their lawyer said on Sunday.

The group, Sinai Province, has killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers since the army toppled President Mohamed Mursi in 2013 after mass protests against his rule.

Formerly known as Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, it has carried out bombings and shootings against police and soldiers mostly in North Sinai.

The men were convicted on charges which included apparently carrying out an attack in which two army officers were killed during a shootout in Arab Sharkas village north of Cairo.

Egypt rejects allegations by critics that its judiciary is politicized.

In April, New York-based Human Rights Watch said three of the men who were facing execution could not have taken part in any attacks because authorities had arrested them three months earlier and were still holding them in detention at the time, citing comments from their relatives and lawyer.

Sisi has identified the Brotherhood as a threat to national security, an allegation it denies.

On Saturday, an Egyptian court sought the death penalty for Mursi and 106 supporters of the Brotherhood in connection with a mass jail break in 2011.

While Mursi's Muslim Brotherhood has largely been neutralized with thousands of arrests, Sinai Province remains resilient despite continuing military operations.

Last Mod: 18 Mayıs 2015, 11:09
Add Comment