Al-Nusra Front claims S. Beirut bombing

The Al-Nusra Front said the bombing was in retaliation for "massacres" committed by Hezbollah in Syria and Lebanon.

Al-Nusra Front claims S. Beirut bombing

World Bulletin / News Desk

Lebanon's Al-Nusra Front has claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing that rocked a Beirut stronghold of Hezbollah on Tuesday.

The Lebanese Red Cross said that at least four people had been killed and 30 injured in Tuesday's attack.

Speaking via Twitter, the Al-Nusra Front said the bombing was in retaliation for "massacres" committed by Hezbollah in Syria and Lebanon.

"With God's grace, a response was made to the massacres committed by Iran's party [a reference to Hezbollah] against the children of Syria and Arsal through a suicide bomb that struck its stronghold in the southern suburbs [of Beirut]," the group declared.

Attached to the Twitter post were four photos of dead children. The source of the images, however, remains unclear.

Last Friday, eight people, including six children, were killed in a Syrian rocket barrage on the eastern Lebanese town of Arsal, which is currently home to some 50,000 Syrian refugees.

Military involvement by Hezbollah in the Syrian conflict next door has already drawn condemnation from the group's opponents in Lebanon.

Tuesday's bombing was the third such attack against Hezbollah to be claimed by the shadowy group since December.

The Al-Nusra Front first made headlines in mid-December after claiming responsibility for a mortar attack on the eastern Lebanese city of Hermel.

Last Thursday, the group also claimed responsibility for a recent car bombing in the Lebanese town of Hermel, another Hezbollah stronghold, which left at least three people dead and 50 injured.

Last Mod: 21 Ocak 2014, 15:16
Add Comment