World Bulletin / News Desk
Forty-four people, including nine soldiers, were killed on Wednesday and scores of others injured in a renewal of fighting between Yemen's army and members of the Shiite Houthi rebel group in the northern Amran province, a security source has said.
The source, who asked not to be named, added that, along with the nine soldiers, 35 Houthi shad been killed and at least 12 soldiers injured.
"The army also arrested six Houthi militants during the confrontations," the security source told Anadolu Agency.
He added that calm had returned to the site of the clashes after the Yemeni army succeeded in containing the situation.
"The Yemeni presidency is trying to broker a ceasefire," the source said.
A security source told AA earlier on Wednesday that two Yemeni soldiers had been killed and a number of others injured, while ten Houthis had been killed and injured in a renewal of fighting on Tuesday.
Houthi rebels seized control of parts of Amran three months ago following pitched battles with local tribesmen.
Some observers fear the Houthis could eventually move on capital Sanaa.
The Shiite Houthi movement first appeared in 1992, making Yemen's northern Saada province its main base of operations.
Several rounds of subsequent fighting between the militant group and the Yemeni army have left thousands dead on both sides.Last Mod: 22 Mayıs 2014, 10:10