Barak accepts Israel behind Syria attack

Defence minister Ehud Barak implicitly confirms Israeli attack in Syria, saying "when we say something, we mean it".

Barak accepts Israel behind Syria attack

World Bulletin/News Desk

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Sunday made reference to the strike Israel purportedly launched in Syria last week, telling reporters in Germany that the "incident is proof that when we say something, we mean it", Haaretz reported.

He said "What happened in Syria several days ago [is] proof that when we said something we mean it … we say that we don't think it should be allowed to bring advanced weapons systems into Lebanon."

This was the first public comment any Israeli official has made regarding the strike, though it still does not constitute acknowledgment of involvement.

Barak also said during the press conference that President Bashar Assad's fall is imminent and would serve as a major blow to Israel's regional archrival Iran.

"I think that they will pay the price," he added.

Syrian television broadcast footage from the Jamraya base for the first time, showing extensive damage to buildings and several heavy military vehicles which appeared capable of carrying missiles. At least one vehicle, with light desert khaki markings, was equipped with what looked like a satellite dish.

Several burnt out cars and lorries - including one with a large hole smashed through the roof of the driver's cabin - could also be seen in the footage, as well as the badly damaged interior of an office.

Last Mod: 03 Şubat 2013, 15:47
Add Comment