World Bulletin / News Desk
A Muslim Brotherhood leader has agreed to cooperate with a government-appointed fact-finding commission tasked with investigating events that accompanied last year's ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi, a senior commission member has said.
Commission head Fouad Abdel-Moneim Riyad said on Thursday that Mohamed Ali Beshr, a Brotherhood figure who had served as local development minister under Morsi, had agreed to give his version of the events in question.
Riyad added that Beshr would meet commission members on Monday to give his account of the August 14 dispersal of two major Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins, including one held in Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya Square.
"This is a positive development regarding the position of the Muslim Brotherhood vis-à-vis the commission," Riyad told Anadolu Agency.
He said the Brotherhood – the group from which Morsi hails – had changed its position on the commission after having confirmed the panel's "objectivity."
Riyad stressed the importance of Beshr's account of events, given his role as a symbol of the Muslim Brotherhood.
A Brotherhood source, meanwhile, said Riyad had asked certain third parties to convince group members to cooperate with the commission.
He said Beshr had contacted Riyad on Thursday morning at the latter's request and told him that he would cooperate with the commission.
The Brotherhood had earlier turned down an invitation to cooperate with the commission due to what it described as "a disregard" for the group's point of view in the past.
Morsi supporters had staged a sit-in in eastern Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya Square to protest the elected leader's ouster by the military on July 3 following protests against his government.
The violent dispersal of the sit-in, along with a second sit-in in Giza's Nahda Square, left 632 people, including eight policemen, dead, according to the state-run National Council for Human Rights.
Other local and international human rights groups, however, said fatalities from the sit-in dispersal had exceeded 1,000.
The fact-finding commission was formed by presidential decree last December with the stated aim of collecting information and evidence on events that followed the June 30 protests that precipitated Morsi's ouster.
The commission is expected to investigate other post-June 30 events, such as attacks on churches; university riots; assassinations and attempted assassinations; and attempts to impede Suez Canal traffic.
Riyad has said the commission would not set a date for handing its final report over to the presidency until it had collected all necessary data.
The mandate of Riyad's commission is set to expire on September 21.Last Mod: 12 Eylül 2014, 09:58