World Bulletin/News Desk
A senior leader of the international organization of the Muslim Brotherhood on Sunday downplayed a recent decision by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to include the Brotherhood in a list of terrorist organizations.
"We were not surprised by the UAE decision," organization Secretary-General Ibrahim Munir told Anadolu Agency by phone.
"It [the decision] will not affect the future of the Muslim Brotherhood in any manner," he added.
On Saturday, the UAE included the Muslim Brotherhood in a terrorism list that also contained 82 other movements and organizations.
Included in the list were also the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Yemen's Shiite Houthi movement and Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, which has been launching attacks against the Egyptian army for months now.
Egypt branded the Brotherhood a "terrorist" movement late last year following the bombing of a security headquarters in the Nile Delta.
The label was attached to the movement amid a massive crack down on its members, supporters and leaders on the streets of Cairo and other Egyptian provinces.
The government accused movement members and leaders of involvement in violence following the ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi.
Saudi Arabia also designated the Muslim Brotherhood a "terrorist" movement in March of this year, following in Egypt's footsteps.
Munir said the Brotherhood had nothing to do with terrorism and rejected violence.
He described Morsi's ouster and the backing offered to it by countries like the UAE as the "real terrorism."
Munir expected the decision of the UAE to have little effect on the Brotherhood. He said the movement had been through tough times.
"Even with this, the movement continued to exist, but its oppressors went away," Munir said.
Last Mod: 18 Kasım 2014, 15:22