World Bulletin / News Desk
The Assembly of Catholic Ordinaries in the Holy Land said on Wednesday that the Israeli government had failed to prevent attacks by Jewish extremists on both Muslim and Christian holy sites in the occupied territories, according to a strongly-worded Wednesday statement.
"Our past condemnations have fallen on deaf ears or at best empty promises from [Israeli] officials," read the statement, issued following recent vandal attacks on a mosque and a church.
"[Israeli] officials shouldn't give the perpetrators the impression that they're above the law," the assembly added. "The time has come to join forces with a view to ending this dangerous phenomenon."
"We call on officials of the state of Israel to bring the perpetrators to justice as soon as possible," the statement read.
"We also demand the investigation of those who consistently incite [violence] against anyone who disagrees with their thoughts and beliefs," it added.
The Catholic assembly said one of its bishops had received a message two days ago from a suspected Jewish extremist in which the latter threatened to kill Christians and priests who refused to leave Israel.
The assembly added that the death threat had been received on the same day that unidentified perpetrators vandalized a northern Tabgha church and broke its holy cross.
Vandals also struck a northern Freidis mosque on Tuesday, spray-painting the Star of David – a symbol associated with Israel – on the walls of the building.
Israeli authorities had earlier announced that they were investigating the "Price Tag" Jewish extremist group for possible connections with the mosque attack.
The "Price Tag" Jewish extremist group stages frequent attacks on Muslim and Christian property and places of worship in Arab cities located inside Israel.Last Mod: 01 Mayıs 2014, 09:48