World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's main anti-coup bloc on Thursday called for a week of mass protests to mark the passage of one year since the elected leader's July 3 ouster by the military.
"Let's turn the coup's first anniversary into a nightmare for the putschists, who have betrayed their country," the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy said in a statement.
The alliance went on to decry the deadly, year-long crackdown on dissent by the army-backed government – that has mainly targeted Muslim Brotherhood movement – which came in the wake of president Mohamed Morsi's ouster.
Since last July, hundreds have been killed while over 40,000 are said to have been detained, according to independent estimates.
Thursday's statement follows earlier calls by the anti-coup bloc for an "uprising of the angry" on July 3.
The bloc went on to accuse Egypt's interim government of standing behind a string of deadly bombings over the past several months – which mainly targeted security personnel – in order to pin the attacks on the Muslim Brotherhood, which the government labeled a "terrorist organization" last December.
Earlier this month, former army chief Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi – who led Morsi's ouster – was elected president with almost 97 percent of the vote, according to Egypt's official electoral commission.
Morsi, Egypt's first freely elected leader, was ousted by the military on July 3 of last year following opposition protests after only one year in office.
While Morsi's supporters describe his overthrow and imprisonment by the army as a "military coup," his detractors call it a "military-backed revolution."
Ever since his ouster almost one year ago, Morsi's supporters have staged almost daily rallies to demand his reinstatement.Last Mod: 26 Haziran 2014, 13:57