World Bulletin / News Desk
A total of 112 fighters from Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group have been killed and injured and 69 others arrested in a week, the Egyptian army said Thursday.
In a Facebook statement, army spokesman said that 49 tunnel openings had been destroyed and 104 rifles and 12,500 bullets had been seized in the Sinai Peninsula, northeastern Egypt, in the past week.
The Egyptian army accuses the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis of being allied to the Muslim Brotherhood, which was branded a terrorist group by the government in December.
The Egyptian army has launched an all-out crackdown on militant groups in Sinai for several months now.
"The army continued to strike to uproot terrorism in Sinai and raid criminal hotbeds in several provinces to arrest criminals and wanted individuals," the spokesman said.
Egypt has been rocked by a series of attacks in recent months, many of which were claimed by the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group.
The Egyptian security forces also thwarted an attempt to blow up a gas pipeline in the Sinai Peninsula.
In a Friday statement, the North Sinai Security Directorate said that three projectiles have been found.
A security source said that the projectiles were likely planned to be used in blowing up the pipeline near the pipeline in the North Sinai city of Arish.
Gas pipelines were attacked several times since the January 25 revolution that ousted long-serving president Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
443 Egyptian police killed since 2011 revolution
A total of 443 policemen were killed since the January 25 revolution, which ended the autocracy of longstanding president Hosni Mubarak in 2011, a security source said on Thursday.
The new toll was cited in a new report released on Thursday by the Interior Ministry.
According to the report, 93 police officers, 350 personnel of lower rank and two Interior Ministry civilian workers were killed since the 2011 revolution.
The report showed that 50 police officers and 173 personnel lower ranks were killed since the July 3 ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi.
2 policemen gunned down in Cairo
Two Egyptian policemen were killed west of Cairo on Thursday, a security source said.
The two policemen were shot in the head and the chest in Sakkara, a tourist area in western Cairo, as they manned a police checkpoint, the source told Anadolu Agency.
The attackers had fled the scene unscathed
Security forces cordoned off the area in an attempt to arrest the attackers.
On Wednesday, four policemen were gunned down in two separate attacks in Cairo and the canal city of Ismailia.
Thursday's fatalities take to eight the number of policemen killed in the past three days.Last Mod: 14 Şubat 2014, 09:52