World Bulletin / News Desk
Egyptian security forces early Wednesday arrested a leading suspect in September's failed attempt on the life of Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim, a security source said.
The 34-year-old man, identified only as Sherif M., is a member of a jihadist group, the source, insisting on anonymity, told Anadolu Agency.
The source added that the suspect had been arrested in an apartment near the border between Egypt's Qalioubiya and Sharqiya provinces.
"Security agencies had been monitoring the suspect's movements since investigations suggested that he was actively involved in the failed assassination attempt [on the minister]," the source said.
The suspect made no attempt to resist arrest, he added.
In September, Ibrahim narrowly escaped with his life when his motorcade was bombed as he left his home in Cairo's Nasr City district.
One conscript was killed and more than 20 others injured, including ten from the minister's personal security detail.
A shadowy Sinai-based jihadist group, known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, subsequently claimed responsibility for the attack.
No statement has yet been issued by the Egyptian authorities on Wednesday's arrest.Last Mod: 20 Kasım 2013, 14:42