World Bulletin / News Desk
An Egyptian court on Monday issued a ruling obliging interim President Adly Mansour to designate the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group, which has claimed responsibility for a string of recent attacks on security personnel, as a terrorist organization, judicial sources said.
Lawyer Ahmed Ibrahim Suleiman called for labeling the outfit a terrorist group after it claimed responsibility for several deadly attacks on security personnel following last summer's ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi.
Ansar Beit al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for numerous attacks against police and army personnel, the last of which was the killing of six army conscripts in northern Cairo last month.
Especially active in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, Ansar Beit al-Maqdis said it was behind several recent high-profile attacks, including a failed assassination attempt last September on Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim.
Although the group also claimed responsibility for the December bombing of a Nile Delta police building in which 16 people were killed, Egypt's interim government blamed the Muslim Brotherhood – the group from which Morsi hails – and officially labeled the latter a "terrorist organization."
The Brotherhood immediately condemned the December bombing, which it denounced as an act of terrorism.Last Mod: 15 Nisan 2014, 10:00